Monday 12 December 2011

Hotel Brief Evaluation

This was by far the most frustrating brief I’ve done. I think the main problem was I had no clear direction for what I wanted and how I wanted it until the last week of the module. I neglected this brief in order to focus on my other briefs (processing and D&AD in order to turn them into something more substantial). I don’t regret this decision, however I didn’t factor in the impact it would have on this brief and how confused it would leave me. By the time I deiced to side line it I had already created the logo and come up with a set of deliverables. However when it came back to me doing the brief I’d run out of time to do the things I’d wanted to do initially, and I’d also covered some of the processes in other briefs so I would end up repeating myself. So after talking with tutors I decided the best avenue to go down would be to focus on environmental signage, its something I hadn’t done before. This gave me more of a direction but I was still confused with what I was coming out with, and then I started photo-shopping. That was a big mistake. I am alright in Photoshop, I know the basics but when it comes to something as complex as I was trying to create it looked rubbish.
So again I had to simplify it again, and I realized I had lost track of what I actually wanted to produce and that was essentially Brand Guidelines. Realizing this I back tracked through previous brand proposals that I had done and realized what I had wanted to produce. Taking this format on I have now developed a coherent body of work, that I feel reflects the brand identity in a different way instead of following the generic stationary route, as I had already covered this in  another brief. It was more about creating the brand identity and environment and I feel I have achieved this. I did want to produce work with this, but actually producing a vectored proposal worked a lot better for this brief than I had imagined. 






No comments:

Post a Comment