Monday 12 December 2011

ISTD Brief evaluation

This was by far my smallest brief, which intentionally I thought was going to be quite a substantial one but as the module went on I realized that other briefs were stronger so this became more of a playful brief for me to look forward to in the future.  I worked on this brief possibly in the most sporadic way, I started work on it and then stopped and then started again and then stopped. This did mean I had an array of different ideas to take on and develop, but non of them really encompassed what I wanted. Immediately I realized that I wanted to set myself my own restrictions for this brief, using the text and the content to drive the restrictions. EG, 21 page publication because it’s 21 people that are in the final restaurant scene. Taking elements from the content made my publication all about it, which I think was good because I did want to reflect the content on the page. 
This was by far the most efficient brief that I have done throughout this module. This was because I had a purpose, a clear direction and a focus on what I needed to produce and when. I’ve found when im handed these impending deadlines I have the drive to push my designs and concepts. Although I had already come up with a frame of what I wanted to produce, I think that without the workshop I would still have floundered around for a while.

Out of all the briefs this has to be my favorite, purely because the simplicity of it, it was all about layout and content and all digitally printed so I didn’t need to worry about processes or didn’t styles I was going to use or formats etc. Once I had the main idea I just ran with it and pushed it. I also got another opportunity to work with stock, by the time I tackled this brief I had an understanding of what stocks were good, why I wanted them and the sort of weights that worked. So I made a point of picking out the right stock to print on. Although I had to mock up the deliverables on standard stock from college, because I couldn’t afford to buy in the stock from GFSmith. I learnt more about layout and publication style with this brief, through the research I’ve done and through the application of it, these are skills that I will bring into my FMP, and I defiantly want to try and do a similar brief to this in the future, purely because I had so much fun with it. It kept me creatively focused and inspired, which at the time I really needed. 



ISTD Boards

No comments:

Post a Comment