Monday 12 December 2011

Type Museum Brief Evaluation

This brief from the very beginning was always about the processes and how I could incorporate them into my designs. And throughout this brief that has not changed, I set out to learn about processes and that is what I have done. What did change was the context with which these processes were used. When I started out I thought it would all be about the typography, the most I experimented the more I realized I didn’t want to create type I wanted to use it. So it became more about the content of the sayings driving both the processes and the designs. This was a lot easier and it made for a more co-he rent brief.
This brief turned out to be the most important brief that I have done, it not only helped me produce some processes heavy posters but those processes then crossed over into my other briefs and really showed me the potential and made me think out of the box when it came to designing things. This ended up being the groundwork that informed a lot of decisions I made in subsequent briefs.
I think what became most apparent with this brief and looking at the others was the work I had done with the laser cutter, whether it be creating stencils to emboss or printing plates, I have used this machine across a variety of different substrates and in many different ways and has opened up so many possibilities, and this wouldn’t have been possible without my investigation into print processes.
 I think the hardest element of this brief had to be time management, a lot of the processes I used were very time consuming (taking 2 and a half hours to raster one image for example) and this is the only thing I could learn the hard way, which in turn did have a knock on effect with the brief because I thought it would be a lot smaller than it was and not take as much time. However, I am happy with this because it meant that once I realized it was going to be time consuming I spent more time thinking about the processes I could use and how I could use them.
With each brief I have really pushed myself in getting my ideas down on paper and with this brief this helped immeasurably. I have defiantly changed the way I work for the better and because of this all the decisions I have made are more informed, and I think this brief has a lot to contribute to that factor. Everything I did I had to think about properly before, to try and use my time more efficiently.
This brief has pushed my skills and knowledge in all sorts of areas, and I now know that I can use them in my FMP in a more decisive and clearer way. I did do a lot of experimentation that didn’t work, but this was part of the learning curve (the main fail being with the printing plates, I didn’t have enough knowledge to make them work and they didn’t produce the style of work that I wanted).
I also learnt about different stocks and what was better to showcase the work that I wanted.
Overall this brief has been vital to improving and focusing my design practice, and it encompasses everything I wanted to get out of a brief, and not only did that but informed all the decisions I made in the other briefs. It was like a huge reference point for me, and my idea generation. 




No comments:

Post a Comment