Sunday 2 October 2011

Type manipulation - Poster 1

My main idea is to use the laser cutting equipment in order to cut the saying out of acrylic a2 poster format. I went and spoke to woodwork to see how easy this would be, how much time it would take and what i would need to do in order to to create the text. The process for doing this is really simple, all i have to do is create the outlines within illustrator and take them down with me. It will cut around the lines. I will be using 3mm acrylic in order to create the poster, there may be certain problems with small part falling through but it should be easy to fix by mounting the poster. 

So for my first idea, seeing as i am working with a 'rigid' material, my first idea is to make the whole text ape are like one huge piece of plastic that has then been cut up into words and sections. 

I created small blocks of outlines that go between the words creating the illusion of blocked text. I did this will illustrator, taking each letter and blocking it off.


The small parts within in breaking up the gaps and heeling create one large block of plastic text. The main problem with this is you are loosing a lot of legibility, which isn't great and i can't really tell how it will look with the acrylic, it may look really messy. 


Individual blocks within the text.

PROCESS BELOW::





Looking at the contrast between the end product and the start i actually really prefer the original image, the end product is way too complicated and it completely looses all legibility, which is a bit of a shame but it just doesn't work. I could reverse out the text when i cut it to still have the plastic defining the words, but i think I'm going to use the process more instead of creating the text myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment