Sunday 2 October 2011

Type Selection - Poster 1

Before creating the poster or idea around it, i needed to settle on an appropriate font choice. I know i wanted it to be a slab serifed font after doing my research. I wanted something that was large, but had some angles and edges within it so that it can create a crisp outline. 

Font: AKIMOTO 
akimoto creates a really large slab serifed font, whilst still retaining some
definition within the letters, creating an interesting visual. I want the piece to work
as a large blocked image, and then use the definition within the type to distinguish 
the words. I think this font does this really well, from a glance it creates a large block of text, 
and then within you can define certain letters words until it creates an distinguishable block of
writing. I think the leading is a little too close and could do with a little bit
more definition as it is starting to loose its legibility.


Font: MEKON
I really like this font because of the contrasting angles and curves,
and it creates something that is very easy not the eyes. However i don't
want to use it with this poster, it just looks a little childish and too block like
which isn't what i want. I want the words to work together and they seem very
sperate. PLus they are lacking the definition i want. 

Font: GRAVITY
I really like this font, the serifs are subtly distinguished by the the thing outlining, 
it makes it easy to read as well as working as a large block of text. Each separate word is legible
and easy to read. I tried out two different layouts for this font as i think the image below
is a little congested and the words are starting to merge together, loosing their definition and
making it harder to read. Whereas with the image about the clear separation between the words
really helps show the definition within the words, and its a lot easier to read and view. 



Font: CHIP KNIP
I am not sure about this font, i think it looks too much like a stencil, as
well as looking like some sort of military saying. It's alright to view and it is legible, 
but i don't think it creates the sort of impact i want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment